Tuesday 28 October 2014

Sherlock Holmes - Crimes and Punishment review


Its been a while since I have written a review, (which I need to get in the habit of writing more) but now here is my latest one.  My latest review is based on the PS4 game Sherlock Holmes, Crimes and Punishments.



For me, this game was a breath of fresh air.  It had so many elements to this game to not only keep me playing the game, but to keep me interested in playing the game.  From the outset, you are playing as the protagonist Sherlock Holmes, and your goal is to solve six murders, thefts and more throughout the game.  The good thing about this game is that it isn't something simple like finding things, determining the killer and there you go, but it is a more complex way of figuring out the murders.  It also has elements of the TV show Sherlock, where Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch) takes one look at the person and he knows who the person is.  In the games case, they use that example, but makes it more interesting.

The investigations themselves are always different.  There is never a recurring theme throughout which is one of the reasons why I liked this game so much.  Yes, there are interrogations and also finding evidence, but you are bound to have to do that in order for the game to progress.  I found Sherlock Holmes as a character to be quite likeable, along with Dr Watson.  You also get to interact with Holmes' dog Toby in a couple of the investigations.  

The investigation are also quite fun to play.  You can go from giving someone an autopsy one minute, to trying to figure out how someone can disappear in the blink of an eye the next, which is why I mentioned that the investigations are so different.  They give you plenty of people to suspect, which makes the game more difficult, so that you really have to think about who killed who and who is innocent.  There are many endings to this game.  Like Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls, you can come up with an ending which you believe should have happened, and there will always be consequences with whatever you choose.  There isn't necessarily a right or wrong judgement in this game, however it gives you the opportunity to go back to the game in the future where if you see the investigation differently, there will always be another ending for you to choose. 

Finally, my opinion on this game is that If you are a person who isn't really a big fan of multi-player, and who just wants a good story based game, then this one is definitely for you.  Also, if you are a fan of the TV show, then this game will be right up your alley.  For me, I really enjoyed this game.  I purposely strung it out because I didn't really want to it end sooner.  If someone said to me, would you play it again?  Then my answer would be a definite YES.

If you're interested in buying this game, and want to see the trailer.  Then you can do so by clicking HERE.

Disclaimer: Nobody asked me to review this game.  All thoughts are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment